News & Events
Possible Future Presentations
We are available to speak to your group, neighborhood, church, etc. Please contact us.
Here you can learn about new events and meetings. Got any other ideas on how we can get the Word Out? Let us know...or do it yourself...the more people involved the better to inform the people we care about. If you have been harmed or have a story call the local newspapers and television channels. Get your story out!
This is a grassroots effort. Please do your part!!!
STOP OC SMART METERS - IN THE NEWS
- Will higher electric bills help pay executive bonuses? - Orange County Register, September 26, 2012
- Report: Smart Meters are Bad for Your Health - Orange County Register, July 18, 2012
- More Resources on Risk of Smart Meters- Orange County Register, July 18, 2012
- Daryl Hannah Calls for Activism at Tree Hugger's Ball - Orange County Register, June 25, 2012
- Mickadeit: Greens, grizzlies, orange groves at Tree Huggers Ball - Orange County Register, June 25, 2012
- Millions with new Smart Meters can’t access system’s wonders - Orange County Register, June 11, 2012
- Readers weigh in: Smart meter ‘choice’ a fallacy- Orange County Register, June 4, 2012
- Smart Meter Savings May Be Phantom - Orange County Register, May 25, 2012 "Total SmartConnect costs paid by customers will actually be more than $5 billion, DRA said, including post-deployment and financing costs over the 20 year life of the SmartConnect system."
- CPUC Approves SCE Smart Meter Opt-Out Option
- Orange County Register, April 19, 2012 "Ken Devore, director of Edison SmartConnect, said SCE has been willingly participating for months in CPUC’s proceedings.
'We absolutely support customers having a choice,' Devore said." We
look forward to more of that "absolute support" from SCE.
- Electric Bill Skyrocket After Smart
Meter; Opt Out Coming But At Cost, Orange County Register April 5, 2012
- O.C. Residents Fight Edison Digital Meter Installation, Tustin News Sept. 29, 2011 and OC Register, Sept. 30, 2011 "The company has not studied health effects, (Southern California Edison's Ken) Devore said, but the communications system runs within Federal Communications Commission standards." Unbelievable.
- Sleeping Mama Wakes!, StopSmartMeters.org, September 28, 2011
OTHER ACTION MEETING GROUPS
The Burbank Action calendar has some upcoming public hearings and opportunities for you to speak up against wireless issues, or special events.
Also check the Calendar on the www.StopSmartMeters.com website for upcoming public rallies, meetings, and events: http://stopsmartmeters.org/calendar/
Other Past Presentations and Events:
CPUC SMART METER OPT-OUT PUBLIC HEARINGS
On December 18, 2012, approximately 80 people attended and 36 signed up to speak out against Smart Meters and Opt-Out fees at a rare CPUC evening hearing in San Clemente. A smart meter protest was held on the street before the meeting.
People came from as far as Riverside, San Diego, and all regions of Orange County including groups such as the Center for Electrosmog Prevention (CEP), nuclear and other activists. The average drive was approx 45-60 min, and yet they braved a long drive, on a very windy, cold night, just seven days before Christmas to speak out against everything that is wrong with smart meters.
Most people were well-informed, and spoke out passionately, and with conviction. The major topic themes included the health detriment from the RF radiation; the lack of protection from the CPUC in regulating the utility monopolies, and the extortionate opt-out. More than a handful gave their testimony on how their health deteriorated after the installation of the smart meter; these testimonies were heart-breaking.
Another handful of folks addressed the dilemma of living near a bank of smart meters, and the need for community opt-outs, as well as the need for businesses to be able to opt-out. Towards the end of their two-minutes, the overwhelming majority stated strongly that charging for the opt-out was punitive, unjust, and extortionate. They further and strongly stated the opt-out should be free, or that smart meters should be banned....period!
This is raw footage and pics - nothing fancy, but you can listen to the very compelling testimonies from Southern Californians who came together to decry smart meters and fees. The transcript is posted below.
JPG image [45.4 KB]
INTERNATIONAL DAY OF ACTION AGAINST SMART METERS - SANTA ANA PROTEST
On October 4, 2012, about a dozen folks protested in front of the Southern California Edison office in Santa Ana as part of the International Day of Action Against Smart Meters!
As we were just down the street from a high school we were able to talk to the kids walking and biking home along with some parents, too. We handed out lots of brochures to open car windows and pedestrians that were interested. As usual, people were VERY thankful to know about the meters. It's a crime that they DONT know.
Surprisingly, several police arrived when we began at 4pm and stayed on the corner the entire time until 5:30pm. Nice guys…they liked our brochures and were interested in getting more information on the Smart Meter to protect their own families. We were happy to oblige. Thanks, Edison for calling them up!
SEAL BEACH LEISURE WORLD SMART METER HAZARDS PRESENTATION
Another informative presentation on Smart Meter Hazards was given on September 22, 2012. Over 150 residents of Leisure World in Seal Beach learned all about the 8,000 "smart" electrical meters that were installed by Southern California Edison in 2010. This event was sponsored by the newly-formed Utility Concerns Club.
SMART METER HAZARDS PRESENTATION IN SEAL BEACH
On August 2nd, 2012, EAGLE FORUM OF CA/Long Beach Chapter hosted a very successful StopOCSmartMeters.com event with nearly 100 in attendance that heard about:
"SMART METER HAZARDS"
- "Will the SMART GRID raise & ration your home utilities?"
- "Is Electro Magnetic Frequency (EMF) really harmful?"
- "Do you know that your personal data will be collected?"
Speaking were MAUREEN, a retired CPA and Cindy, an administrative analyst. They met nine months ago through their shared concern regarding the SMART METER. They consider themselves a grassroots NONPARTISAN group who have compiled credible documentation through their research to support their comments.
PRESENTATION ON SMART METER DANGERS - IS YOUR HEALTH AND PRIVACY AT SEVERE RISK?
On June 28th, 2012, approximately 50 participants attended our FREE presentation on Smart Meter Dangers at Au Lac Restaurant in Fountain Valley. Included was also a free special showing of the Award Winning documentary FULL SIGNAL (2009/2010) Some of the topics covered were:
- Smart Grid, Smart Meter and Demand Response
- Health Issues (Electro-sensitivity)
- Privacy – Surveillance without a warrant
- National Security at Risk - Hacking
- Environmental Damage
- Price increases - Time of Use (TOU) rates
- How to Opt Out of the Smart Meter SCAM
- How to Protect Yourself
HUGGING TREES IN SILVERADO CANYON
Stop OC Smart Meters attended the Treehugger's Ball on June 23, 2012 to a very receptive group of community residents. Hundreds of flyers were given out to thankful folks that "didn't know" anything about the data-mining, unhealthy, and environmentally unfriendly transmitting computer stuck on their homes. Many hugs to our friends in Silverado.